Thursday, February 3, 2011

Simple Embellished

Recently, my sister-in-law sent me these really cute little vases. 
 I love them.  Really, I do.  But...

Well, when I looked at them, I thought, "Ooooo!  These are nice and simple.  I like simple.  But, hmmm, I could do something with these.  I could make them even prettier!"  

I tried to resist.  Really, I did.  But...

The idea kept nagging at me and I had to give in.  

Here's what I did:

I pulled out some Valentine-y paper and laid it out.  You know, to see which one called to me.

I picked the one that had shapes already printed out on it.  Because I wasn't in the mood to try to cut out "the perfect heart."  
Cut out the heart, add Mod Podge generously.
Then, not being able to let a bottle of glitter be alone, I added some of that on top of the Mod Podge.  I didn't take a picture of that, though.  I wasn't sure I liked it.  I may have gone a little too far with the glitter.  Maybe not.  I don't know.  You'll have to use your imagination and decide for yourself.  (Or just check out the finished picture below and base your judgement off of that!)
Next, I left the vases to dry, then ate a sandwich and watched Little House on the Prairie before I went to bed.  Then I went to bed...and slept very well, thanks!

In the morning, here is what I found!
Yeah, I went a little overboard with the glitter on that middle one.  If I did it again, it would get the same glitter treatment as the other two.  

Still, I think they turned out pretty cute.  Even simple things like to be dressed up every once in a while, right?
Here's what I learned:
  • Most things, even if they are already nice and pretty, look better with some pretty paper Mod Podged on.
  • Sometimes glitter isn't necessary.
  • Glitter is always fun.
  • I love Little House on the Prairie. 
  • You should always make sure there is no wet glue on the rim of your Mod Podge bottle before you close it or you might have a hard time opening the lid that you have glued shut.

2 comments:

Rita Peck said...

love theblog and can't wait to see more ideas. the vases are cute and I am dying to trying the folded circle felt

Suzi Hardy said...

Ahhh the lessons of life. There are other things that are hard to reopen after you have glued them shut too...I'll let you discover them on your own,who am I to take those lessons from you?