Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I am Grateful for crochet

I can remember as a child watching my grandma crochet.  It was what she did when she was sitting down watching TV or talking.  
To make a half double crochet 2 together (hdc2tog), (yarn over and insert the hook in the next stitch, yarn over, and draw up a loop) twice, then yarn over and pull the loop through all 3 loops on the hook.
Source
Her blankets were beautiful and it wasn't long before I wanted to play too.

I don't remember if she taught me the basics or not, but I know that at some point she helped me figure some things out.  For the most part, though, I used a book to learn crochet.  It was a skill that I caught on to quickly and easily and I like to think that is from watching her for so long.  (crochet by osmosis?)

It has now become a source of relaxation for me:  something for my hands to do when they are bored (if that's the right word...boredom is something I very rarely experience lately), but also a focus point to calm my mind when it gets overwhelmed and stressed.  

When my grandma passed away, I inherited some of her crochet hooks and pattern books.  I feel close to here whenever I bring out my yarn and hooks.  

I am so grateful for the skill I have and for the connection to Grandma.

1 comment:

Luanne Hardy said...

These posts are so sweet!