Monday, February 11, 2013

Snowflake Glitter Art, My Turn

So...

I was really excited about the snowflake art my girls did.  It was fun.  I mean, who doesn't like to play with glitter, right?

I decided to make my own.

This time, I found the masking tape.  It worked waaaaaaaaay better.

First I drew the shape of the snowflake on the canvas.

Don't do that.  It's too hard to cover up and really not necessary.  The shape is pretty basic.

Then I picked out and mixed the color I wanted...
(while playing a little footsie with the Mister...)

And painted over the entire canvas, taped snowflake and all.  Then I waited.

A long time.

Well, it wasn't so bad.  I just went to bed.

The next day, I peeled off the tape. 
ooooo-oooooo!
  (See those stupid pencil marks....they don't come off.  Bad idea.)

I decided to try and cover up the pencil with white paint. Don't do this either.  It's unnecessary.
Especially if you are like me and have an ongoing war with straight lines.

Or if you do this.
Interesting thought:  I was told once that there is a tribe in some far away place that will intentionally add flaws to the crafts they create.  The idea is that only the gods can do perfect and they don't want to offend the gods by creating something perfect, so they purposefully add an imperfection.  

So, there you go...that's my imperfection.

 Now it gets fun.

Ok, it was already fun.  Not it gets more fun.

I got some Mod Podge.  I got some super fine glitter.  We had a party. 
Looking back, I kind of wish I had maybe added even more glitter and maybe even experimented with a little paint.  I'm not sure how that would have worked out, though.)

It took some time, but I globbed that happy mixture on top of the snowflake. 

 I laid it on thick.

And I giggled with glee as I watched it dry.

It is so sparkly!

Then I let it dry and... 
TaDa!!!!!!!!

I have to say, I like it...but I'm not really in love with it.  If I did it again, I wouldn't make the background color so dark and I would try to find a way to make it look more glittery.

But still... 
It's pretty.

And I got to play with glitter.

Everything is better with glitter.

And chocolate.

1 comment:

Erin said...

awesome! you're a genius! and you don't have to go to some far away tribe to find that belief...the amish here do it, too. =) Love you!